Monday, June 1, 2009

VISITORS FROM THE 3RD BEST TOWN IN THE WORLD

yES, that is the title.
National Geographic wanted to know where the most historically authentic towns were.
They picked the whole world intheir survey.
No 1 was Wachau and the Melk Abby in Austria
number 2 was the Rideau Canal Corridor in Ontario Canada and
number the city of Ghent (Gent-Gand) in Belgium.
Town where I was born and my whole ancestry as far as we can go was from that town.

Now you chocolate seeking tourist all have been to Bruges, the Venice of the North,
well the National Geographic decided that the city was an open air Museum.
The city of Ghent is vibrant, young and alive with modern ideas mixing in between the
many Cathedrals, Castles, Opera houses and so forth.
The town does not survive solely on tourism, the 600 years history will view a very hard working population through the ages. Industry around the town but the centrum is intact as it has been for centuries.

I am delighted to be a "Gentenaar" in my very bones even so my passport tells the world
I am an American and have been for more than 50 years.

No comments: